Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

SHRIMP STIR FRY, Farmer's Wife's Recipe

Yesterday while conversing on Facebook, a few friends and I were sharing what was for dinner.

I commented that I was making my shrimp stir fry. A few friends commented back for the recipe, so I decided to post it here on my blog where it can be forever searchable.

After all, I being the ever generous one - wouldn't dare cheat the world of such a deliciously, simple dish. ;-)



FARMER'S WIFE'S SHRIMP STIR FRY

Ingredients:

8-10 large shrimp (for four people; you can use 6-8 for one or two people)
OR, the small bag of small cocktail shrimp you can buy at the grocery store.

***living closer to the Coast in South Texas, we get our shrimp from 'the shrimp guy'. He comes by in his truck full of iced down, fresh jumbo shrimp having just picked them up directly from the shrimper. I'm lucky, eh?

16 oz package of your favorite frozen stir fry vegetables. (Walmart has an excellent 'Deluxe Stir Fry' in their generic, frozen-vegetable section.) Sometimes I supplement this with extra frozen broccoli or frozen squash.

Seasonings of your choice, I use Nature's Season by Morton and Tony Chachere's.

Olive oil (a few tablespoons)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peel the shrimp being sure to remove the tail peel as well. Split in half as if to butterfly but completely separate the two halves. (Also devein the shrimp during this process). Cut the halves into additional halves ending with four equal pieces of each shrimp. (You can use butterflied shrimp but you'll have to use more. Quartering them is more economical.)

Using a non-stick pan, pour enough olive oil to almost coat the bottom of the frying pan. Tilt pan back and forth to coat the bottom. The pan needn't be completely coated. Pour in your frozen stir fry veggies and any other veggies you prefer to add. Turn the flame to medium/medium-high (do not cover as the veggies will get very soggy from the condensation since they are frozen).

Sprinkle some seasoning lightly over the vegetables. Stir the veggies every so often to cook and heat them evenly. When the vegetables are cooked to about half the desired crispness, add in the quartered shrimp. Continue to stir until the shrimp turn a bright white with pink tint along the edges.

As the shrimp stir-fry cooks, sample and season to taste. Serve alone, with a salad or over steamed rice.

It's that easy!! Fresh vegetables are great but the frozen stir fry mixes make for a quick and easy last minute meal as they are easy to keep on hand.

My husband loves this for a light, healthy dish!

Happy Tuesday!!

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Glass Half Full Gal said...

I left out that I also like to throw in a tablespoon or two of chia seeds and some sunflower seeds toward the end. :-) Health it up and the sunflower seeds add a little crunch.

You asked me What? said...

yeppers, that's how I do it.. and I'm no where near being a cook.. if I can do it.. they can do it..and please take captcha off this thing.. please..

Labels