Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Friday, February 20, 2015

My idea; writing project to help our homeless pets!

A year ago or maybe a little longer (time flies) a started thinking about my final writing assignment from the course I had taken. I had turned in five chapters of a YA I was working on. But after my instructor, who was kind through out the entire course, stated that it didn't seem realistic and that I should change this and that... I kinda got bummed and set it aside. I had planned to revisit it but never did, distracting myself with being so involved with school and CCD and extra curricular activities.

But when it comes down to it... I was offended because the story, although changed in many ways, was based on realistic incidences from my own childhood. That was the second time she had said, "In real life it wouldn't go that way." That was another story I wrote based on a very true incident in my life that changed my life in a humongous way. So, I truly get it when authors get great feed back but that one comment can hit the ego and the heart so hard.

Anyhow, as I mentioned I have been thinking about revisiting it again. Just here and there as time allows. I miss my characters. And, now I realize how authors have these voices in their head. They have been asking me where have I been and what happens next in their lives?

So, in the shower this morning a few of my stories I had written crossed my mind. One in particular. The short story I wrote about our dog, Dulce. The story of how we came to adopt her. Or as I say, she adopted us. I wrote it from her point of view.

(Our crazy loca, Cafe Dulce meaning Brown Sugar)


I thought, "That's a really good story. I should self-publish it." Then it hit me! "What if I self published it and then let the animal care services here locally sell them. I would only charge about 50% to cover the expenses of publication. My kids might even be able to provide the cover art and a few pictures of scenes in the story. In fact, Farmer, Jr. already inquired about who would do the pictures (hinting he was interested in throwing his hat into the ring). The other 50% would be donated to the facility. We have a few other of these facilities in town too but I would start with the one where we got Brandi from.

And, if it worked out, it would be a fun project to write about Brandi's story as well...



So, what do you think of my idea? I'm reviewing the story and even though I was provided with edits and possible changes by my instructor I have a dear friend, Melissa Garrett, whom I trust fully to offer edit ideas and other options I might need to consider.

So, what do you think? Should I GO with it??? It would be fun for me, involve the kids if they can draw a few scenes well, and it would benefit our furry friends.

Comments and thoughts please and thank you!

FARMER*S WIFE
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

The Widow Jones said...

You need to talk to Kathryn Loving. She self publishes through Amazon and there is no charge to her if I understand correctly.

glad to see you back to posting, hope you keep it up..

yep, its me.. under my new id or ego.. whichever. lol don't pass on the connection

Anonymous said...

Thank you; do you have a link for her. I think I know who you are... Like 98% sure. ;-)

So you think this is a good idea? I'd need a prototype to show the pet shelter to present my idea...

I just thought, I love to write, I have stories I've written, what if they could actually do something and support something. I see my poor Brandi with her arthritis and osteoporosis and she's falling down at the back end all the time and I just want to give something back.

Labels