Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lil'Gal's Favorite Chicken Casserole

I have to share this because it is soooo easy and so delicious and Lil'Gal just LOVES this casserole. The first time I made it I googled chicken casseroles, looking for something that didn't include cheese (although, sometimes now I do). I was in need of a quick casserole to make for dinner and I had flash frozen chicken breasts on hand. They are easy to defrost and very tender.

So, I found a creamy chicken casserole. I don't know if I adhered to the recipe completely because I rarely do, unless it is baking. That is totally different.

With this time of year (although, our weather today was a muggy 78+ with spots of sunshine) this is a great, yum-up and then snuggle-up dinner time meal. Lil'Gal always asks for it on a left-over night or for lunch when we are home.

I present to you, CREAMY CHICKEN CASSEROLE

Can you see the creaminess inside?

Ingredients:
(makes a 9x9 or 9x11 dish depending on how much chicken you use and how thick you like your casserole)

2 - 3 large chicken breasts; or a boiled whole 3-5 pound chicken
1 - 1 and a 1/2 cans of cream of chicken soup
8 oz of sour cream
optional: 1/2 cup grated monterrey jack
butter crackers
salt, pepper, seasonings (Nature's by Morton [msg free]; Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning)

cook and shred or chop chicken into bite sized pieces
add seasonings to chicken (I like Cavender's all purpose greek seasoning and Nature's season by Morton)
*you can season your chicken as you prefer but these are what we use
mix in cream of chicken soup; how much depends on how meaty you are making your casserole; you don't want it too soupy or it'll will be watery when cooked. But you want enough to cream it up
next mix in the sour cream
** if you like, mix in a 1/2 cup of grated monterrey jack cheese; optional. Often I go cheese free.

Last: crush butter crackers, enough to cover the surface of your casserole depending on what size dish you are using. I use almost one whole pack and put them in a quart zip bag and let Lil'Gal roll them into crumbs with the rolling pin

Non-stick spray coat your baking dish. I always do this for an easier clean up. Dish your casserole mixture into your baking dish and spread evenly. Top with your butter cracker crumbs.

Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and the crackers are slightly browned on top.


SHLURP! YUM!



Another idea you can do; kinda' along the thought of Chicken-a-la-King is to serve it over steamed mixed veggies. Super-Yum. At least to a veggie lover like me. :-D



Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

FYI, Lil'Gal had two wholesome servings tonight and she requested I save some for her and Diva tomorrow for lunch. :-)

Anonymous said...

This looks delish! I'm going to have to give it a try :) Thank for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love casseroles, and this one sounds delish!

Karen Pokras said...

Oh this looks so good!!

shoreacres said...

I love chicken, and things I can serve twice or three times, being a lazy, cooking-for-one cook. I'm going to give this one a try.

Labels