Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Sunday, July 12, 2009

RECIPES! Baked potato french 'fries'

ProHomaker requested that I post this simple recipe awhile back; I finally took time to load photos to Macxine so I can post with this recipe.
It's very simple and an extremely healthy alternative to frying your french fries.   My kids love them, hubby loves them and no one wonders where the grease is. ;-)
Baked Potato French Fries:
Take your typical russet potatoes.  And, slice into french fry sized strips:
Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray (don't leave this part out or you will end up with potato fries stuck to and totally baked on your sheet).
Spread your 'fries' over the baking sheet.  They can be squeezed in tight and touching.  Sprinkle seasoning over the fries.  I prefer to use "Nature's Seasoning" by Morton (it's in the picture above).
Turn your oven on broil.  My oven has a high and a low broil.  Typically, on low broil, these fries will be ready in about 20 minutes.  Perfect to start them and then put your burgers on the grill and set the table while they broil. ;-)  Be sure your rack is up to the closest rung in the over to the top element/broiler.
Place seasoned fries in the oven on top rack.  Broil about 7 - 10 minutes.  Pull them out and check them.  If they are getting toasty and bubbly looking on the top then pull them out and flip them over. 
This time, spread them out a little (they will have shrunk some in the oven due to the loss of water in broiling).  Season again if you like.  Place them back in the oven on top rack.  Check in about five minutes; and do this until they are to your liking.
If your fries are finished but dinner isn't quite ready, then place them back in the oven (broil still on) on a lower rack.  This will keep them pretty crisp without burning.
I like the soft/soggy fries and Hubby likes the crispy.   The kids like both so we all do well with this easy, 'peasie' recipe!  Enjoy!
Next recipe will be my easy 'peasie' shrimp stir fry!!  Yum! Yum!!

StumbleUpon
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Oh those sound good. I was just thinking you could use that no-stick Reynolds wrap for these and they for sure would not stick. ... You've got such a fancy oven -- mine just has the broiler on "cremate" - "don't cremate" levels. :-)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Will have to try them
Kim

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Pro-H "Cremate or don't cremate!" Made me laugh out loud!!!

Kim, easy and yummy! Also inexpensive!

Delaney said...

I love fries done this way. So easy and so tasty!

Anonymous said...

YUM! I've baked plenty of fries, but I've never tried broiling them. Our favorites are sweet potato fries. I'm going to have to try this method. Thanks! :)

Labels