Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Disappointment is for the Dogs....

As most of you know, I was scheduled to have Lasix and my eyes fixed yesterday.  All went as scheduled and according to procedure.  Everything was running on time.  I was the first patient it.  The surgeon (a different surgeon from the one who checked me on Tuesday) reviewed my chart and checked my eyes with great detail, as had so many techs, eye doctors and another surgeon previously.

My corneal tissue was thin, but there is enough there to do the procedure.  The problem is scar tissue.

When I was 14 years old, I caught an eye infection from the guy behind me in Spanish class.  He had pink eye and passed everyone's papers up (to me, being at the front of the row).  Wasn't he supposed to be at home?  Geeze.

Anyhow, I clearly remember hoping that I wouldn't catch it.  I did.  It was a severe strain.  It attacked both eyes, wreaking the most havoc on my right eye.  It took two weeks to get over it.  The eye doctor who was supposed to be 'one of the best' at that time was a jerk.

He had NO bedside manner, he prescribed hydra-codon for the pain, some type of antibiotics, and compazine (for nausea).  When I began having the reaction to the compazine, he told my Gramm that it was the hydra-codon making me hallucinate.  That is, when his office was finally able to get him to return her calls (from the golf course). @$$hole.

The allergic reaction (which any doctor who prescribed that medication should have been fully aware of) caused me to lose control of my nervous system and muscles and my body contorted.  I couldn't close my eyes to sleep and I couldn't move my eyes either. My eyes drifted up to the right and were stuck there.  I had no control, I could hardly control myself enough to walk.

I ended up in the E.R.  It was a big mess.  I finally got over the eye infection.  I had to live without my contacts for several months from the damage.  24 years later, it turns out I can't have Lasix or even PRK due to the damage.  It sucks.  With this factor and the level of negativity of my vision, the surgeon recommended lens implants.  It cost twice as much and I have to have it done in Houston and it takes about three days over all.  (They only do one eye a day -- don't know why).

So, for now. I'm going back to my contacts and going to just forget about the whole thing.  Yesterday I had a pouty, pity party.  Sweet D was with me as she was going to keep watch on me after the procedure and take care of the kids when they got home from school.

WonderMom called in disbelief that I ended up without the procedure.  I told them to come join us.  We drank wine/beer/liquor [everyone has their own favorite spirit, :-)  ] ate fried chicken, visited, and played a few games.  It was a pity party on my behalf.  It's great to have good friends.

Hubby gave me my valentines present early (I told him the surgery was supposed to be my present originally) and he brought me a bottle of wine and a dozen roses.  I was a Bleep.  He tolerated me.

And, today?  I'm happy.  All things happen for a reason.  And, I have sooooo much going for me.  Ya' can't win'em all -- somebody else has to win a round in life now and then.

So, there you have it.  But, at least I get to continue with my computer addiction and kindle soon as I fold that darned laundry. LOL!

Happy Saturday!



Melissa said...

Like you said: "All things happen for a reason."

I'm sorry that you didn't get to have the procedure done as you had wanted, but I'm surprised the other surgeon didn't catch all the scar tissue before. Phooey.

Kelly Dawn said...

:( i am so sorry you didnt get to have your surgery :(

Anonymous said...


Good for you for seeing the silver lining already.
And yes, I'm glad they discovered it BEFORE surgery!
Now go play the way you like!

Dez said...