Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What should I give up for Lent?

For those who aren't familiar with the Catholic practice during Lent, this is a time (40 days like Jesus in the Bible) where we give up (sacrifice) something important to us of valuable (that we don't need) for 40 days until Good Friday.

Many people will give up Chocolate, sweets, or carbonated beverages.  Something that makes us think about how much we like that thing and realize that our little sacrifices are in recognition of the sacrifice Jesus made on the Cross.

As an alternative option, a person may choose to 'do' something additional rather than giving up...  So long as it is in line with the idea of demonstrating appreciation for the sacrifice for our salvation.

A good example of this could be attending mass during the week in addition to Saturday/Sunday mass.  Volunteering at the church, daycare, school, PTA, etc.

I'm not a big religious blog, but I do practice my faith.

So, here-in lies my problem.  I know we aren't going to be able to make an extra night of mass every week for five weeks.  With homework and studies in addition to extra curricular activities, I feel that I would completely fail that mission.

I could dedicate more time to working on my writing to build my skill by taking on prompts and daily posting a short story of some type.  But, I feel though that would be good for ME it might be a little selfish as I'm not serving the purpose.

I once gave up booze for 40 days.  So that's now out.  And, I once gave up just beer for 40 days.... yeah, that's out too.  I don't eat chocolate, I don't really eat sweets, I'm not a big snacker, I don't drink sodas, and I NEED my caffeine.

So, what suggestions do you have that I 'could do' or 'give up' for Lent.  I have until tomorrow morning to make up my mind.  [Please don't say give up my carbs for breakfast -- I'm a selfish little B@$tard, huh?] LOL!


Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Just Me said...

Maxine.

LOL!!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Um, that TOTALLY AIN'T happenin! LOL!

Nor the Kindle... :-D

Unknown said...

Okay, the fact that you said you NEED caffeine totally has me thinking you should give up coffee. You don't NEED coffee - you only think you do.

PS - I just came back from talking with the nurse practitioner, and she suggested I cut back on the tea. Sure I cut back on the coffee, but I think I've been compensating with the tea and it's doing "things" to my body.

I'm not Catholic, but if you give up coffee, I'll give up tea.

Just Me said...

Well iyou did ask for suggestions. LOL.

Melissa - that is a good idea.

I am not a coffee or tea drinker, but I certainly have a caffeine addiction to soda.

No Catholic, but I would be willing if FW gave up Coffee, You Tea, I would give up the soda.

Unknown said...

I say that's a great idea!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Yaaaaa'aaaallll I neeeeeeed it.

Okay, seein' as I started a good thing here. I'll (I just bought a new flavor) give up coffee starting tomorrow morning until Good Friday....

Lis will give up tea.

BBMom will give up sodas...

This will be good for all of us; though, I know I'll be nodding off during Mass on Sunday mornings! LOL!

Unknown said...

Deal!

Jay said...

If you give up coffee have something available for the caffeine headaches that you will have. They can be pretty brutal if you go cold turkey.

When I gave up pepsi, I had such bad headaches that I had to get a six pack of 8 oz Coke Zero cans. I would drink about half a can in the afternoon for a few days in a row, then every other day until they went away.

Labels