Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Thursday, February 26, 2009

I give you, ITALIAN DELIGHT!

By popular request, I bring you the recipe for Italian Delight.  This is my MIL's recipe which was passed down to her from her Mom.
You might mix it up a little and want more or less meat, more or less pasta, but either way -- Yum! Yum!
ITALIAN DELIGHT
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 green bell pepper
1 small can of mushrooms
1 small onion
1 small can black olives
1 can tomato soup
1/3 pkg. spaghetti or a small box (I like thin spaghetti)
Velveeta
Cheddar or American for topping
minced garlic, salt, pepper, seasoning of preference.
What I do:
I chop the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and olive really fine (or you can buy the chopped black olives).
Cook meat with onion, bell pepper, and then add in olives and mushrooms when the meat is almost done.  Be sure to season your meat well and to taste.  When meat is cooked add tomato soup (unless you need to drain your meat; I use very lean ground beef so I don't have to drain it first).
Stir in soup and add 1/4 cup of water (a little more if you find that you need it, but you don't want it soupy).  Stir in cubed velveeta melting slowly.  About a 1/4 of a large velveeta loaf. Again, it comes down to personal preference but you want the velveta to melt and become creamy in the soup/meat mixture.
Boil your pasta.
Stir in pasta until you have a fair mix of pasta to meat mixture ratio.  Pour into a 9x11 dish and top with American or Cheddar.  [I like American for this recipe].
Bake at 325-350 covered for 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and hot in the middle.  If you want your cheese to cook a little more then uncover towards the end.
NOTE:  Even if you do not like black olives or mushrooms, something about they way the meld in this recipe really brings out flavor.  You won't really taste the black olives or mushrooms.  Though, you can cut back a little.  I think I've cut back to about 1/2 a small can of each and then chopped really well.
My Hubby and kids do not like black olives or mushrooms.  They luuuuuuuuuv this recipe
You can double this to have one to freeze for a dinner another time!
Enjoy!!!
Happy "It's almost FWFD"!!!

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend's mom used to make something very much like this. Some of my kids refuse to eat anything that looks like a mushroom or an olive, despite the inability to taste them. *sigh*

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Oh that sounds good ... Believe it or not, I've never bought Velveeta, but I'll look for a deal on it now. :-) Maybe Walmart?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

your family probably gets pretty darn excited when they see something like coming to the table--I make something close to this but DANG that's a good idea, tossing in those olives

Jay said...

That does sound pretty yummy. I might still have to take the black olives out though. haha

Maybe some garlic bread with it and, oh IDK, a nice Merlot? Or hell, a glass (or three) of Texas Red! I love Texas Red. Best table red wine I've ever had.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I'm telling you all, try it once. With the black olives but the fine chopped ones. You can chop them or find them in the can that way and just use a third to half the can.

This is one of those recipes that chemistry plays into taste. You will not taste olives. You will taste my Great MIL's Italian Delight recipe.

Tried, true and proven. It's kinda like, some things you just have to make with mayo....I can not stand mayo. I'm a miracle whip Gal.

But, BLT dip does not mesh with miracle whip, I MUST.use.the mayo.

Happy Eating!

Labels