Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Phone Phobia



So about the phone. Doesn't look too scary, right? Yea, but you don't see it all lit up and blinking talking in that computer "mind-warping" tone it has. LOL. I do like this particular phone unit....I just don't like it to, well.....ring?

I went through this same thing about a year ago when it seemed like every time the phone rang -- something was wrong, someone was sick, some one was "bitching," getting divorced, or some one was harmed. Doom. I finally got through it as events in my so called "soap opera" life settled down. {And, I don't think or consider myself a drama queen -- well, I can be in bloggers world but I'm not in reality}. Mrs. T? Sweet D? Am I a Drama Queen? If so, please let me know and I'll seek therapy for that. Or, a good anxiety pill.

Anyhow, back to the phone. Since we've built and moved into the new house -- my "Fantasy World, my Castle, my Kingdom," we've been without a "land line" for two months or more now. This is because we now reside just perfectly between our old house (and pole) and my Fav-in-laws house (and pole)....just enough between that it actually required an "engineer" to come out and "check it out" and approve a new pole, I guess. And, then we had to have a little path trenched for the actual phone wire to be buried within. So, Dh and I were down to only our cells for all this time.

So, I had started to realize that when my phone rings...I'd get....anxious. To try and fix this I even added special rings to friends and family. Like Mrs. T rings a speedy la-la-la-la-la and Sweet D rings "electric guitar." My mom rings "bipity-bipity beep-beep" and so forth. That helped for awhile. But, it was kinda' coming back again. And, then? We got the land line.

When I walk in the kitchen I can feel it eyeing me with it's caller ID eye. It waits there, staring at me, blinking it's little red arrow, knowing I'm fearful their will be a message bearing something negative. I've loved this phone because it actually talks, and announces callers, but I no longer feel it is my friend. And, I LOVE my friends...and I LOVE my family. I am blessed beyond. So, it's not that I don't want people to call me.

But....even with sweet rings. When the phone rings? My heart skips a beat. I clench and get clammy. You can text me, email me, blog a comment or drop by....but ring me? And, I hit panic.

IMPENDING DOOM....is what they "clinically call" my reaction. I'm always worried about what might be wrong...what illness, injury, unexpected negative finance....and blah, blah.

STUPID, I know. Maybe somehow a TV commercial hypnotically symptomized me to this disfunctional phobia. Probably "Zoloft" or "Celexia" or something like that. They insert their hypnotic phobia/anxiety into their fuzzy commercials and then every one goes running to their doctor to get a prescription to purchase the "quick fix." See? That's how they keep making their money.

Or, it could just be that it's, yet another, of my obsessive little quirks that I am slowly sharing with my friends -- letting them in on my little hidden fallacies. I think I am so blessed that it really comes down to the fear of losing something or someone.

Like I've said before. I try real hard and "pretend" to be as perfect as possible -- and, I think my friends truly know this and accept me and let me live in my fantasy. I think they support me cuz' they know it's what makes me tick. And, I love'em for it. You know what would be great? To be Mrs. Cleaver, Martha Stewart and Samantha (Bewitched) all rolled in together. Would I be stretching too far if I added "Wonder-Woman" in there too? I could sure use that lasso on the Hubby kids. ;)
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I got a new phone for Christmas. Still haven't gone thru the manual since it's so long and in 12 languages. I can't even find English.

I figured out the basics but it lights up - all blue and ominous from time to time. Have no idea what the blue means - have decided another realm is trying to contact me.

So there - you are not alone (and apparently neither am I)

I always wanted to be Samantha from Bewitched.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Thanks for the support ;). And, I HATE manuals. How come when we are younger we don't even have to pick up a manual -- things just come to us then we hit that age...um, 30-something. And, we loose that ability?

Tink said...

I HATE the phone. If I could get away with not owning one at all, I would.

Leighann said...

I love my friends and family but I still don't want them to call1

I HATE the phone!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Nice to know I'm not alone. Was begining to think I was becoming agora-phone-bic ;)

Labels